Idiomatic expressions with JOB:
good job, bad job, out of a job, jobs for the boys
– sthg hard to do
It was a real job to get the children ready to leave at 6.00am
out of a job
- – My company closed so now I’m out of job
a good job
a good thing
– It’s a good job I brought my umbrella, it looks like it’s going to rain!
Make the best of a bad job
do as well as possible in unfavourable conditions
– We forgot to buy Mozzarella cheese for the pizza, we’ll just have to make the best of a bad job.
Give up sthg as a bad job
decide that nothing more can be done to improve sthg
– We gave the interview up as a bad job, Smith obviously didn’t have the information that we needed.
Jobs for the boys
employment for one’s supporters or friends.
– The new committee has contracted the boss’s cousin and two school friends, sounds like jobs for the boys to me!!
Languagewell also bring you lessons with idioms using LOVE and FALL as well as many other lessons and exercises with phrasal verbs and English Idioms One vocabulary example is Book which is used in a number of well-known English expressions such as closed book and throw the book at someone There are more lessons with other verbs in the Phrasal Verb Index it includes run and think. If you want, you can practise by doing these exercises Check out other English Language and Grammar lessons and exercises here