Uses of verb ACT in English
The English verb ACT is used in many situations with a number of meanings.
Here are a few examples:
1 behave in a certain way
- – When she saw the accident she acted quickly to help the people and call an ambulance
- – He acted bravely to go into the fire to rescue the boy
2 produce an effect, work
- – Intravenous pain-killers act very quickly
- – ABS brake systems act within milliseconds of the brakes locking
3 behave or comport oneself
- – He’s the youngest in the team but acts like a natural leader.
4 appear or seem to be
- – He acts very brave but actually he’s a big coward
- – The mother acted very strongly in public after her son died, but privately she was devastated.
There are also lessons with idioms using LOVE as well as many other lessons and exercises with phrasal verbs and English Idioms One example is Cry which is used in a number of well-known English expressions such as crybaby, cry wolf and a far cry There are more lessons with other verbs in the Phrasal Verb Index it includes run and think. If you want, you can practise by doing these exercises