Exercise for Past Simple and Past Continuous
Past Simple or Past Continuous?
Congratulations - you have completed Past Simple or Past Continuous?. You scored %%SCORE%% out of %%TOTAL%%. Your performance has been rated as %%RATING%%
Your answers are highlighted below.
When I ....... at school, I ........ to be a train driver.
- was, was wanting
- stayed, - wanted
- was, - wanted
- have been, - 've wanted
Question 1 Explanation:
"want" is usually a non-continuous verb
I ..... John in the street last Tuesday but he ...... me. He .... in a shop window.
- saw, - didn't see, - was looking
- saw, wasn't seeing, - looked
- saw, - saw, - was looking
with "but" we need to use a negative to show contrast with "saw"
- was seeing, - didn't see, - was looking
It was a very difficult moment. We ....... what to do
How fast ........ when the accident ........ ?
- were you driving, - happened
- did you drive, - was happening
- did you drive, - happened
- were you driving, - was happening
The radio was on but nobody ..... .
listened to it
was listening to it
were listening to it
Once you are finished, click the button below. Any items you have not completed will be marked incorrect.
There are 5 questions to complete.